Saturday, March 26, 2011

Chill out drivers; I am gonna bike like a wild man...

So you are sitting at a stop light in your car.  I ride up on my gorgeous green bicycle machine, almost stop and then push right on through the red light.  You then grumble to yourself and think, damn cyclist they think they can get by with anything.  

What that translates to is you being jealous because you can't (don't) do the same.  So instead of rejoicing in my freedom to move and grove through traffic, you mutter and maybe even honk at me.  So why is this messed up???

Here is how I justify this.  As always having been a person of efficiency (Blame it on my Mom and 20-years in the Air Force) it just seems to make sense to travel this way.  After all, the whole idea when on a bike is to be in motion, right.  It is a natural desire to keep moving.  Your argument will probably be that I am a vehicle of the road and subject to the same laws of the road, blah blah blah blah.  Except of course, as these laws apply to you.  
 Who among us do NOT break a driving law each and every day; i .e. do you drive over the speed limit even only 5 mph, do you fail to engage your turn signal when changing lanes, etc.  Do you see where this is going.  Why are you able to look at me with disdain for breaking a rule of the road here and there while you do it everyday, just among your own terms though.  You who have not committed a traffic violation cast the first wayward glance.  
Your next argument is: what if I do something stupid and and you hit me with your vehicle.  I hereby give you permission to live with a clear consciousness.  If I blow through a stop-sign and you hit me, it is all good.  I accept being responsible for my actions  However, if you are texting while driving and you take me out, I will come back and haunt you...  I guess the point of all of this is - is if I slip through a light or get a jump on you -- don't get all up tight -- you would probably do the same thing if you were able.  I am not out there doing evil so chill out.  If the way is clear I will want to take advantage of that.  Let's keep this in perspective too - Me rolling through a stop sign weighing in at almost 300 pounds is a bit different then you rolling through a stop sign weighing in at 3000 pounds and with a much more limited view.  So the next time you see me pull off a little stunt that keeps me rolling, knowing that I checked out the situation, am aware of my abilities and limitations, just throw me a little smile and say to yourself, I am with ya brother...and let me roll on....

2 comments:

  1. http://www.digave.com/videos/

    For your reading pleasure: http://bostonbiker.org/2011/02/01/lets-make-one-thing-clear-i-am-not-slowing-you-down/

    Good post! We have this conversation all the time, Norm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang Paul!!! Those are some great videos. Check em out people. Lots of fun. There is a freedom there...

    ReplyDelete